September 24, 2012

Carla Sonheim Books

In my previous post I shared a book I had purchased called Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim. Let me tell you, this has been one of the best buys ever! I took up art lessons last year and have surprised myself at my capabilities (drawing a stick figure was a stretch before!) but hadn't really mastered being able to draw much other than copying pictures or photos. Drawing from my imagination was something I wanted to explore and this book has ticked all the right boxes and got the creative juices flowing rather easily. No long pages of dribble, each double spread has an exercise with brief instructions and colour examples .. so it's easy to jump from one thing to another (hello short attention span!).

I was delighted to read that Carla was releasing two new books .. Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals and The Art of Silliness and have just ordered my copy...

To celebrate her book launch, Carla has some great blog posts coming up with lots of giveaways, eye candy and inspiration ... hop over and follow her launch. The blog is also great to trawl through the history.


Carla has really inspired me to draw from the imagination and to draw things I never thought possible. It is so much fun creating a character ... watching it come alive as you draw. I have always looked at other artists and only hoped I could draw something half as good but with Carla's approach anyone can create the magic with their own spin .. it's so much easier than you'd think. It's everywhere! Even in sidewalk cracks! There is also a Flickr group where people upload the creations they have made inspired by the book. 

1 comment:

sue said...

ooooh, this is exactly what I've been wanting. I just didn't know where to start looking. Thankyou!!!Sue